Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:23 am 

ThunderinScitters wrote:
heartless and cold

C'est moi. :approve:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 am 

Cloudy O'Rabia wrote:
C'est moi. :approve:

boac

(even though I shouldn't have)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:32 am 

During the ad breaks on RTE Tony Cascarino was plugging his piece in the Irish edition of The Sun. He said "The French have a heart the size of a pea".

Says it all really. I look forward to them crashing out in the group stages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:50 am 

slart wrote:
During the ad breaks on RTE Tony Cascarino was plugging his piece in the Irish edition of The Sun. He said "The French have a heart the size of a pea".

Says it all really. I look forward to them crashing out in the group stages.

If only...

They'll bore their way in to the quarters at least, mark my words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 am 

Ireland were cheated out of the World Cup. They should be forced to replay the match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:53 am 

Burnage BLue wrote:
If only...

They'll implode one way or another. They have a flakey manager and the players hate him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:54 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Ireland were cheated out of the World Cup. They should be forced to replay the match.

I wouldn't replay the match. That would be a step too far.

However, if Ireland had the nuclear bomb, I'd like to see it dropped on Paris today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:56 am 

slart wrote:
I wouldn't replay the match. That would be a step too far.

However, if Ireland had the nuclear bomb, I'd like to see it dropped on Paris today.

too much money riding on something like that. You're talking an entire nation, financially and in football terms.

Like you said earlier, that wanker Platini and the other twats have got the result they wanted.

I wonder what would have been said by them, if the Irish had handled the ball in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:16 am 

Well, we've heard it all here on this thread about Ireland being cheated, and it's all a bit subjective really. Cheating is endemic of modern day football, FACT. I am sure Irish fans feel robbed, I would too, just as the Italians cheated Australia our of the WC06. I will point out that Ireland had a LOT of decisions go for them in the Georgia match, not quite cheating but that was long forgotten. Also, you need to score at home to win really.

The person most at fault here is Thierry Henry. But is he? He got his country in to WC10, and Ireland are not. Refs can't be everywhere, he took his chance. As a result the French will be watching Les Blues with a cold Kronenbourg next summer while the Irish will be seething. Right or wrong, that is football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:17 am 

I hope Henry dies of shin splints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:19 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Well, we've heard it all here on this thread about Ireland being cheated, and it's all a bit subjective really. Cheating is endemic of modern day football, FACT. I am sure Irish fans feel robbed, I would too, just as the Italians cheated Australia our of the WC06. I will point out that Ireland had a LOT of decisions go for them in the Georgia match, not quite cheating but that was long forgotten. Also, you need to score at home to win really.

The person most at fault here is Thierry Henry. But is he? He got his country in to WC10, and Ireland are not. Refs can't be everywhere, he took his chance. As a result the French will be watching Les Blues with a cold Kronenbourg next summer while the Irish will be seething. Right or wrong, that is football.

In fairness you can trawl through any amount of matches and find questionable decisions that went both with you, and against you. Would it be ok for Argentina to get cheated out of every World Cup since 1986? Then when they complain everyone can just say "well.... take the good with the bad. You win some you lose some" ?

It was a horrible decision. The ref probably didn't see it though I am baffled by his gesturing to Robbie Keane that it hit his chest. If you didn't see it, you didn't see it. No need to make shit up.

Whatever about the hand-ball. It was unfortunate for Ireland. The decision made by FIFA 3 months ago to seed the draw is the real injustice here.

I'm not really surprised that poor officiating played a huge role in this tie. A post from month ago:

Kubrick wrote:
Yep.

Asked how important it was for Portugal to qualify the chief executive of the Local Organising Committee and a member of FIFA's organising committee - Danny Jordaan, said:

"Very, very important. We have the big teams . . . England is in . . . Germany, Italy, the Netherlands but we also need the best players in the world and Portugal with Ronaldo and Messi with Argentina (have) two of the most exciting players."

Without sounding like a nut, I don't think the teams from pot 2 will be given a fair chance against the big 3 of pot 1. Even if there is no underhandedness, comments like that can only serve to put pressure on the refs employed by FIFA to officiate those ties.

Danny Jordaan will be pleased.

FTR I don't think Australia were cheated out of the WC. It really pains me to say, but after watching the incident about 600 times I came to the conclusion that is was a pen. Keep an eye Neill's hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:57 pm 

Burnage BLue wrote:
If only...

Nah, you're thinking of England. France always either collapse like a flan in a cupboard (to use an Eddie Izzard term), or somehow fluke their way to the final.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:19 pm 

The replay is forbidden by FiFA law 5. If they did replayit you would only be able to stage a world cup final every 15 years because there would be so many replays in the qualifiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:26 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
The replay is forbidden by FiFA law 5. If they did replayit you would only be able to stage a world cup final every 15 years because there would be so many replays in the qualifiers.

Nothing but gesturing at this stage, come th WC this will all be forgotten about... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:29 pm 

ThunderinScitters wrote:
Nothing but gesturing at this stage, come th WC this will all be forgotten about... :(

The Irish will probably know all about it. Mind you, the same happened to England in last Euros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:

There is a precedent of sorts.

In 2005, the Bureau of the FIFA World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a ‘technical error by the referee of the match’.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:43 pm 

Kubrick wrote:
There is a precedent of sorts.

In 2005, the Bureau of the FIFA World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a ‘technical error by the referee of the match’.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

The law quoted is different. Evidently the ref gave adirect free kick in the penalty area to the attackers instead of a penalty.
The result would not have affected either teams chances of qualification [color="Silver"]and both countries are major suppliers of oil.[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:45 pm 

Does anyone care that Guus Hiddink is now available for a managerial role? :whistle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:47 pm 

nope

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:49 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
nope

are you bitter about the Irish being out? Or are you more annoyed that the French are through?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next